Thursday, January 03, 2013

2013 resolution: be more healthy

I'm always excited to make new years resolutions every year. But the excitement tends to fade away as the year goes on and by December I hardly even remember that I made any goals for the year! So this year I decided to do something a little bit different. I picked a theme for my goals this year and I plan to make new goals at the beginning of each month that are based off of my theme. Hopefully I will develop new habits and carry each one on throughout the year as I add a new goal each month.

The theme I've chosen for this year is to be more healthy.

The past 18 months have been very draining on me - in all senses of the word. Being pregnant and then nursing has been stripping my body of nutrients and I can feel the effect they are having on me. This, along with a lack of sleep, has drained me of my energy.

A new baby can also do crazy things to your emotions. All of the sudden being 100% responsible for a helpless human being is hard! Especially when you're tired. :) There have also been so many great emotions this past year! Each new milestone is so fun to celebrate over. I really had no idea I could love someone so much!

Anyway - these are just a few of the things that have been hard for me the past year or so. Which is why I'd like to dedicate 2013 to becoming more healthy - physically, emotionally, spiritually, financially, in my home, my work, and my self.

SO... for the month of January, my goal is to be more healthy in my eating habits. I want to:

- drink more water
- have a vegetable centered diet
- eat more fruit

- eat less meat
- eat less empty carbs (potatoes! white bread and pasta)
- eat less sweets

To start out the month, my family and I are going to go a week without eating meat. Eating less meat is not only great for our diets, but it is also great for the environment as well. I don't have any plans to become vegetarian, but I'd like to start my goal out strong and force myself to think outside the box and to try some new recipes. Scott isn't quite as enthusiastic, but hey, I'm the one doing the cooking! :)

No comments: