Thursday, March 04, 2010

take me to....the coldest country in the world



After convincing pretty much everyone (myself included) they are moving back to Utah this coming July, my family has accepted a position in Moscow, Russia. To their benefit, they really did think they were moving back. But, my dad was offered a position and they decided it was an experience they didn't want to give up (that definitely would have been my choice too!). So while I'm sad they won't be around for the next couple of years, I'm very excited for them! Especially since this means Scott and I will have to take a trip to Europe sometime in the next two years... :)

My mom is excited because she'll get to wear one of these:

 

In light of this announcement I decided to look up some interesting stats about Russia:

  • Oymyakon, Russia is third on the list of coldest places in the world (#1 and #2 are both in Antarctica). The coldest temperature recorded is -96.0 Fahrenheit.
  • Russia is the largest country in the world. It spans 11 time zones and borders 14 countries by land and 4 by water.
  • While more than 81% of the population is Russian, the other 19% are from more than 100 other nationalities.
  • There are 88 men per every 100 women (possibly because the life expectancy for women is more than 13 years longer than the life expectancy for men...)
  • Adult literacy: 99.6%
  • Russia is home to the 10th largest dessert in the world 
 
(Kyzylkum Desert)
  • Also home to the largest lake in the world (as well as the 6th and 9th largest)
 
(Caspian Sea...which I guess they consider a lake..) 
  • Has the 6th largest population in the world
  • Moscow is the 24th largest city in the world with a population of 8.4 million 
  • Russia is the 4th biggest producer of cereal in the world (USA is second)
  • The 4th top consumer of tea in the world and the 5th top consumer of cocoa. 
  • Russia is the top producer of nickle and the 2nd top producer of platinum and aluminum
  • Russia is 7th in the number of tourist arrivals 
  • Is ranked 11th in terms of Winter Olympic Games with a total of 27 golds, 20 silvers, and 13 bronze medals (not including the most recent Olympics)
  • Because Russia does not have an LDS Temple, Moscow belongs to the Helsinki Finland Temple District. Below is they temple my family will belong to:

Well, I hope those were as interesting for you to read as they were for me to find... Anyway, I'm excited for my family and I can't wait to go visit! :)

4 comments:

Nikki said...

Russia is awesome!! That's where James served his mission!! I love Russia... that"s exciting! I do NOT miss humanities but i miss you!

L said...

That's amazing! I would like to visit Moscow, though I am cold just reading your post. Your family will still be in Peru for your internships??

Samantha said...

Wow! That is crazy! And really cool. They'll have to go to Finland too! I'm jealous!

Jenny said...

Nikki--I miss you too! Congrats on the engagement! I'm so happy for you! If James has any good advice about living in Russia you should let me know!

Lori--My family will be in Peru until the end of June so we'll still be able to intern. They won't move to Russia until after their home leave to Utah in July.